21st August, 2023

I got up early and moved the sheep into the shearing shed to clean out for a few hours as the shearer wasn't due until lunch time. Fed the calves and back to bed for an hour and a half. That was an easy decision as it was drizzling.

The shearer arrived just as I finished milking, so well early, but early start is early finish. By the time I got done with processing the milk he'd crutched the two that needed it and had done six out of eight sheep for feet trims. I helped with the remaining two and then released them all back into the paddock where they pounced on the grass as if they'd been starving for days. Shearing should be late November.

The calves spent the drier bits of the day being cows and the wetter bits being lumps in the straw. When I went out to feed them at night the were a bit reluctant to come out in the rain. I'd bumped them up to two litres each so it was worth getting damp, but they didn't stay out to nag me for more. Nice to see they are sensible about the weather.

The skip went today, nice and full. Apparently the doors for the craft room will be delivered tomorrow and the work done either Wednesday or Thursday. Woo hoo !

Robyn got Ox Boy loaded without incident and Greenhams let me know he was in with some big fresian steers and seemed quite happy. He must find it odd not to be the biggest animal in the place.


No comments:

Post a Comment