23rd August, 2023

This morning the builder's offsider arrived at 7.30am and started work on the craft room doors. He's putting on two weather proof doors so I can start moving craft gear down into the craft room. The current screen doors will move to the outside position and provide ventilation in summer. I need to find a blocking cover for the high wall vents, in summer they will move hot air out nicely, but in winter I need to close them before even trying to heat the room.

I shut the gate to move the weaners into the ryegrass paddock and opened the gate from there into the piggery paddock so they could access water. I will be shutting off the ryegrass paddock for hay at the end of August so the weaners now have their marching orders.

I gave the calves more calf starter and opened the rest of the straw bale to make their bed thicker and bigger, allowing for a section that catches the morning sun. The chickens promptly spread it all over, so I will have to go back in tomorrow and rake it back up and fluff it.

While I was waiting for a script to be filled I went down to the Ellesmere Patisserie. I am a sucker for their new Greek pastries, particularly a vanilla slice made with baklava pastry (complete with syrup) and a texture that I suspect is something like semolina or polenta. I picked up one of those, two proper baklava and an almond scroll. I'd better make those last a couple of days ...

The new pizza place has made a big splash, not least because of their opening hours, 6am to 10pm most days ! The tourists will find that very useful, as the ones coming through from the Launceston Airport towards Derby often arrive after everything is shut. Word is Anabel's will open as a thai restaurant in October and that the old Post Office building will be a japanese restaurant. I'd be good with indian as an alternative, but we will wait and see.

Sarge and Suzie slept for a good part of the day. Have to love a good cuddle puddle. I wish the lounge was wide enough for me to join in for a nanna nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment