23rd September, 2023

It was a glorious day today. The kind of soft day that makes you want to put up a hammock and find a good book. 

Roda, my cleaner, came today after a couple of weeks off and together we kicked the house into shape. I also managed to take a soft toothbrush to Geoff's old CPAP equipment and gave it a good scrub ready for storage now it's been replaced. And four loads of washing. And emptied and cleaned all the bins.

I set up an electric fence around a section of the main driveway area, where the grass is approaching knee height. I had been contemplating putting out some hay for the girls, and getting the mower going. But synergy is when you solve two problems with the same answer. They can get into the fenced area through an open gate and I hope they find it. Of course, if I'd opened it and was hoping I'd get away with them not noticing it they'd be through like a shot.

I also moved Sorcha in with Annie and Jaffa, she's so close to calving that the closer she is to the house the happier I am and the easier she is to check. That leaves Little Moo and Flora in with the sheep.

I set up another muesli station at the feeding point for the calves. This one has a lid so I can open it up for that window where they have finished their milk and are still hungry enough to nibble, and close it to keep the other cattle and the chooks out.

No comments:

Post a Comment