3 November, 2023

Most of the days are starting off lovely but windy, clouded over by mid morning. Still the same snow wind. Then it clears again in the afternoon. Some of the locals even declare it hot. Hmmm.

I made all the preparations for Little Moo, then left him in the hands of Geoff and the butcher, Josh. Josh confirmed that the cartilage in Little Moo's joints had nearly worn away, he'd have been feeling every year of his age and I am relieved we helped him before it became miserable. I still miss him though.

Before I returned Bruce to Robyn I moved the hay rings out of the paddock and onto a concrete pad for storage. I can move them by hand if necessary, but they are heavy and unwieldy and this saved me alot of huff and puff.

Annie and the two bottle calves took the opportunity to race out into the main paddock and careen about, then spent the rest of the day hanging with Jaffa and her group up the far end. I will need the calves closer to the hayshed where their muesli is, as tomorrow morning is their last milk feed. I'll need to go and get Annie with the halter and hope the calves follow.

I went to a heifer raising seminar in Derby on Wednesday night. It was at "Main Street", the newly opened restaurant. The meal was lovely and it was a very informative night. Kelly and her husband Derek came along for the education, I hope they enjoyed it.

The chickens are laying well, but I think we are due to put another round of broodies in the pen. This will go on all summer, every couple of weeks.

I had lunch at the new Thai restaurant at Anabels, with Robyn. Then we went up to Cleone's nursery in Bridport, where I bought a couple of passionfruit vines to replace some hops that didn't make it through winter. And a jasmine. Which I will need to locate somewhere I can smell the flowers. Robyn also gave me a packet of white mulberry seeds, so I will attempt to grow some of those as paddock trees.

This is the sort of thistle I mainly get at the moment, I think variegated thistle is the variety. They are harder to kill as they have a waxy cuticle that is harder for the herbicide to penetrate. Lontrel is my go-to for thistles, and it does african daisy too.


 


No comments:

Post a Comment