3rd August, 2023

The sheep let themselves out via the footbath overnight. Win ! I put them back in the shed with snacks at about 4pm and we can rinse and repeat for a few days and see how their feet improve.

The rescued rooster, Franklin, has hit stupid teenage boy stage and is suffering from testosterone poisoning. He has attacked Geoff once and me twice, but is still backing down from a direct confrontation. He has two options, grow out of it or grace the freezer. Which one of those it will be will depend on how many times he attacks before he regrows a brain.

I went and had an eye checkup today. My prescription has changed, as I suspected. It's only gone one step up, so my long distance glasses and reading glasses should both be ok for the moment. But I am springing for a graduated set which will have the reading prescription at the bottom of the lens and the long distance at the top of the lens. A bit like the old bifocals but without the abrupt change. These should be good for a few years and be handy on trips to seminars or to Launnie where I want to both drive and read over lunch.

I've adapted the claw of the milking machine to allow for better management of the milking process when sharing with the calf. I never know which quarters will have been drunk from, so using a twin setup rather than a quad, along with an inflation stopper, allows me to empty all the quarters without overmilking the half empty ones. I also struggle with the four-inflation octopus when putting the cups on, so this is a lazy way out of that problem too.

The air/pulsation ports on the removed inflations are covered with chair leg rubbers. These are not food safe, but don't come in contact with the milk at any time.

 A loop of food safe tubing covers the milk line ports and is removed and cleaned every day.

We reduced the air pressure in the quad tyres today. For some reason we'd been running them at 12psi and they should be closer to 4.5psi. This should reduce my chances of having a rollover if I ever get out of first or second gear and really get to hooning across the paddock.

No comments:

Post a Comment