20th September, 2024

OK, that'll teach me to think mother nature doesn't have another card up her sleeve. 5mm rain overnight and one of the biggest wind gusts we've had since we moved here. I spent a while picking up things that had blown from one end of the farm to the other and I don't think I got it all.

Belle will be pretty dark on me for moving her across the road where there isn't a lovely solid shelter. But she is in good condition and can fill up on hay to generate heat. The cattle didn't come up for the hay until later in the afternoon when the wind finally dropped, I think they were all hunkered down in a gully.

I did the training for the AEC job on referendum day. I worked at the polling booths at the last election, it was good money and quite interesting. So when the emails went around again I put my hand up for this poll. The training was pretty much a repeat of the procedures, but it was good to get a refresher.

I picked up calf starter muesli and milk powder to store in the chiller. I've now got a bag each of all of the feeds I use stored so that if I run out of the stuff in barrels on the weekend I am right to just pick up more the next business day. It's nice to be organised.

Geoff cut some mats from around Poppy's ears and collars, I passed her treats as he worked and she put up with it quite well.

The calves were hunkered down in the sheep shelter straw bed when I went out for their night feed. I was surprised they weren't with Jaffa and Annie and Freya in the loafing shed, but I suspect they went to bed earlier in the cold and wind and were sound asleep when the others moved out of the weather.

The wind blew my weather rooster off his perch, I'll have to climb up on the roof to reinstate him.



No comments:

Post a Comment