6th September, 2023

Someone was cleaning out the calf muesli overnight, so I set the calves up with a creep feed area. This is an area that adult cattle can't get into but calves can "creep" under a barrier and access. Their muesli is in the hay shed now and the cows are locked out of that. They have the loafing shed anyway, and the calves like the hay shed. 

I can start reducing their milk when they are reliably eating 1kg of muesli per day. That will be a while off, but everything they nibble now adds to their nutrition. The vet said they looked healthy and happy, so we'll keep going with things as they stand.

I took my subaru into Goodyear in Scottsdale to have the suspension checked out. I was told by another mechanic that I needed four shocks, new link rods and new boots. The roads in Tassie are quite windy so good mechanicals is essential for safe driving. 

The guy at Goodyear took it for a test drive and then up on the hoist, hit the right front suspension with some CRC and said no charge. He tactfully declined to speculate on the advice from the other mechanic, but I knew when he bounced the corners of the car when I dropped it off and he looked very confused that I had possibly been misled by the other guy. I'll organise an alignment and rotation for the tyres in a few week.

Leigh butchered one of the pigs this afternoon, which will leave the other two with more space and certainly reduce his feed costs. I think he's fed them a good six months longer than he needed to.


It was a very large pig. I took the liver, heart and kidneys round to Rob Taylor's as he makes pate and pies with those. He is after some pork fat for venison sausages too, so I gave him Leigh's number.

I put on a batch of slow cooker yoghurt with 3 litres of the shop milk that I bought for the 3L bottle it came in. Each one of those does a full feed for the calves, 1.5 litres of Annie's milk and 1.5 litres of powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment