17th October, 2023

 First thing I found when I got up this morning was a large dead rat on the kitchen floor. Someone, I suspect Sarge, is taking care of business. They tend to eat the mice they catch, but not the rats.

Another day of being sick. I think I am doing ok, until I try to do anything significant and then I realise how weak and short of breath I am. It was another sunny day, it always happens that when I have a sunny day off I get sick, maybe I am allergic to solar radiation...

I called in sick for tonight and Chloe took the shift with Gillian as 2IC. I hope it's a smooth one for her.

Geoff had his skin check in Launceston with Dr Maggie today, all clear and next check in two years.

The calves had their first large morning feed today, 1kg of powder in 6 litres of water for Joey and 5 litres of water for Star. The difference is so that Star has half a chance of finishing hers before Joey does his and starts pushing for hers. I took them down to the muesli again and they nibbled a bit here and there. They had been down during the day and had some, hopefully that begins to be a habit.

I found another nest a long way back between two round bales. I'll try to get down tomorrow with a pasta spoon (the best way to reach up hard to get at eggs) and the dogs can have egg with their meal each night for another week. Then I'll bunch up some chaff bags and block access to that one. If a hen starts to sit she will get squashed when the round bale in front is moved.

The vet is coming tomorrow to castrate Zipper and vaccinate Poppy. I'll ask their advice on some help for her old bones, as she is getting quite stiff.


No comments:

Post a Comment