21st November, 2023

Annie's calf is already following her closely so bringing her in for the first milking was easier than it could have been. I didn't get a let down, but it was clear the calf is drinking well from both front teats. I took everything I could get from all four and ended up with about 8 litres of good colostrum for the freezer. She was quite happy to get breakfast but ready to take her baby away again when she finished.

I had to go and fetch Star back from the far end of the farm. I had to split her and Joey off so that the calf would stop following them and stick to his mum until he figured out her udder, so they spent the night camped up by Jaffa and Sorcha and their calves. Joey came back and was easy to put back with Annie and Flora, but I had to take some treats up and lure Star back. She was pleased to be reunited with her homie (Annie) once she realised where she was being taken.

Jason baled the cut paddocks this afternoon. 37 round bales, which is 7 more than I guessed at. They are 4 1/2 ft rounds instead of 5 ft, so the extra probably came from that. They will be a bit easier to deal with on Bessie, and a smaller bale produces a bit less waste from a small mob of cattle. They look nice and green and fresh, hopefully I can get them all stowed away before it rains.

The chickens are loving the emptied out hay shed, scratching in all the left over hay and making new nests. I noticed two sitting hens had lice, so a dose of pestene for them this weekend.

Here is a shot down the valley as I headed down to milk.

 And another one showing the mist lifting after milking.



No comments:

Post a Comment