22nd November, 2023

Annie was even easier to get in this morning. She let down as well as a two day fresh cow can, and I got close to 15 litres of milky colostrum. The dogs and cats got some and I gave Star and Joey four litres each to restart them on milk while it's available. The muesli and milk will get them fat and shiny in no time. They were very happy to be back on milk, especially real milk warm from the cow.

One of the inflations (the bits that go on the teats) split and I had to do the milking with one finger holding the split closed to keep suction. I located the spare cup and inflation sets and changed that one out. It's probably time I learned how to put inflations into cups (the metal bits that hold the inflations).

Leigh dismantled the shelter across the road this afternoon, he's going to use the bits to make a new shed somewhere else. I guess I will have to figure out how to get my long timbers back across the road now too.

I pulled all the barrier gates out of the hay shed ready to let Bessie maneuver bales in and around the posts. It will take all my skill (hah !) to get as many rounds as possible into the shed without knocking out posts.

I think Belle was on heat the day Annie calved, it seemed that she was the centre of attention over the road. Since she has been there seven weeks that's a little concerning, as she should have come into heat and gotten pregnant on the last cycle. I hope she's finally caught.

Here's a little vignette of our little town. A tractor with full hay cutting rig parked in front of a cafe, beside an RV belonging to a tourist. I love the way tractors and agricultural equipment are part of the everyday traffic here.


No comments:

Post a Comment