23rd November, 2023

Annie brought Abe in and he did the usual new calf thing and found a spot to sit. Production increasing, still some colostrum, 6 litres each to Joey and Star, 1200ml to the dogs and the rest into the pig bucket. I started the calves on the orange feeder, which has the benefit of slower feeding, giving their stomachs a chance to tell them they are full so the crazy sucking urge at the end of a feed is eliminated.

I went to put Leigh's forks on Bessie, thinking I would get a head start on moving the hay into the shed as there was rain forecast. There were no side pins for the linkages so I had to slip down to Scottsdale Engineering to get some new ones. Thankfully they had three in the right size as they had hardly any left at all, so I got all three to have one spare.

Once I got started I hit a problem.The bales seem to be very heavy, Bessie could hardly drag one and her front wheels were barely touching the ground, which makes steering a problem. I was moving last years 5ft bales easier than I was moving this years 4 1/2 foot ones. I wasn't going to be able to juggle her around in the hay shed for best storage configuration with no steering.

So after one bale and a real head scratcher I messaged Robyn and she said I could borrow Bruce tomorrow to bring them in. I love my neighbours !


No comments:

Post a Comment