27th November, 2023

We got up at 5am to go and help milk at Robyn's. Ash went into the pit with Robyn and I stayed in the yards to move the cows in and then start the hosing down to save Murray some time when the cows were all in. I think Ash enjoyed it.

Annie came when I called this morning, leaving Abe with the other calves. First morning I didn't have to go and get her with the halter. Milking went smoothly, I was even able to show Ash how to hand milk. 

The calves are on 12 litres each now, Annie's production is increasing as she settles into the lactation. It's her third lactation too, which is when cows tend to reach their full potential. With the calves at 12 litres each, the dogs and cats doing 2 litres between them, that is 26 litres without even including what Abe is drinking, and I think he'd be doing an easy 6 a day, for more than 30 litres a day. Just as well I have the calves !

Ash headed out about lunchtime, she's going to a highland cattle farm next, then a tour from Hobart back to the ferry up the east coast with her mum. I sent her with lemons and fresh eggs. I hope she enjoyed her stay. She stopped at the Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary on the way down.


The lice have finally stopped moving in the nests, which means the hen will be feeling more comfortable too. We're getting about 9 eggs a day from 15 chooks.

It's still raining, we've had 38mm since the fall started. I hope it's not making the hay too wet. At least the paddock that have been cut will be really responding to the water, and it has saved alot of garden watering. Plants respond to rain much more than to tap water for some reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment