28th November, 2023

The weather persists in looking stormy and dank, but the rain has largely passed.

Today I fixed the trough across the road that was over-flowing. The cable ties that shortened the chain on the float had perished, so I put a new one on.  A very McGyver way of fixing it, but it worked.

I had Geoff check out the weird behaviour of the energiser on the electric fence around the silage. It was putting a zap through the earth connection, which I hadn't experienced before. He explained in physics and I nodded, but the main thing is that it won't flatten the battery and will have zap in the fence to keep the cows off the silage. I am none the wiser, but the situation works so I can live with that.

Joey has been bouncing the calf milk feeder around as he gets bigger. This results in splashing and spilling the milk. So I went and borrowed a bigger fence line feeder off Robyn. This one is nice and heavy and has five teats so they can jostle and steal teats off each other and it will still work.

I will be taking two of Robyn's calves for fostering for a while. There are a couple of youngsters that are behind and aren't quite ready for weaning, and they can share Annie's milk and Robyn will supply pellets so that my two and her two can come on together and hopefully fatten up without the competition from the bigger calves in her mob.

The hay still smells good, it doesn't appear to be too damp and hopefully it will dry out this week and I can start putting it in the shed.

No comments:

Post a Comment