5th December, 2023

Yay ! A summer day and a good breeze dried off the hay and the ground so I can move it ... wait, except that today I am working (even called in an hour early) so I can't. And for the weekend when I am off ? More rain forecast.

Moved the broody hen into the pen today, no sign of lice so I think the avitrol has worked.

The last cider tree has finally started to show leaves, I was wondering if it was dead. I guess it will be the last one for the fruit to ripen too.

I built a locking mechanism for the peach teat calf feeder station, to stop the calves from butting the feeders up and spilling the milk. That will work for the next lot of calves, the big feeder is still the go-to for this lot. But pretty chuffed with myself.

I drilled some drainage holes into the plastic container holding all the washing liquids in the dairy. It lives over the sink and often ends up with water getting yucky in the bottom. A small but long awaited problem fix.

I was given the small shrub with the red bell flowers on the right as a stick with two leaves. Anyone know what it is ? You can click on the picture to see a larger version.

Also in the pic (from back to front) are a reddish daisy with purple highlights, a pink and white carnation that isn't flowering in the pic, some orange calendula, forget me nots and a daphne. Largely hidden but on either side of the red flowered shrub are lemon thyme and normal thyme. And a yellow calendula growing out of a crack in the path over by the wall.

The forget me nots and calendula seem to self seed here, as the california poppies and nasturtiums do in the front garden. I am happy for them both to thrive and spread as they both bloom all year round and add some colour in winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment