22nd January, 2024

Another day that started sunny and warm and went to cloudy and cold.

I returned the whippersnipper/brush cutter to Mitre 10 as it ceased working 20 minutes into it's first use. The manager will talk to the maker and get back to me. While I was there I picked up more fertiliser and did the fruit trees, veges and gardens. 

I checked out the fig fruit while I was there and ate one small fruit, it was sweet but it wasn't dripping syrup. Here's a photo of another one I picked for identification. These two figs were quite soft, but not large. There are larger figs still on the little tree. From reading I think it's a "brown turkey". I might look for a "black mission" to plant as well, they seem to be the best ones for desserts.


The huon crab apple tree is bearing well, it's first crop. The pink lady is suffering a bit from coddling moth, but the granny smith is looking good.

I opened the Bioworma bucket, that was very well sealed and I think I nearly gave myself a hernia doing it. It's a fungus that kills barbers pole worms and is harmless to animals and soil. I will try feeding it to the sheep mixed into a paste and smeared on bread. It smells a little like aniseed, but it's mixed with livamol, which is a vitamin supplement often fed to horses and it may be designed to be attractive to them, many horse treats contain licorice.

On the sale of the 75 acres front we are advised that the Lands Dept has chosen one of the new plans as one they will accept for registration and it has been sent to Dorset Council for signing. They only took a few days last time so hopefully they will be as quick this time. Then off to Lands for registration. Is that a little glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel ?

No comments:

Post a Comment