21st January, 2024

A thunderstorm arrived suddenly at 3.30pm after a sticky morning with very little wind. I went down to the back door on the first roll of thunder only to find Poppy had already beaten me round to the front door. A finely tuned instrument.

I fertilised the citrus trees, but have run out of fruit and veg fertiliser so will have to get some big bags of that ready to do everything. At least the citrus and the craft room pots will have it watered in by this fall.

I blocked all the holes in the spare fuel tank with electrical tape and plastic pots (why are there so many holes into a fuel tank ??) and moved it into the back of Geoff's shed. One more pass to make sure anything in there belongs there and I can hit the broom and duster and start setting up. There are so many containers and "that could be handy" items in there already I need a shelf just for them.

I finally got a chance to make my pastries, a go-to recipe that I use because it works every time. Except this time. Massive fail.

The pastry got so wet and sticky as soon as it defrosted it was like handling snot, there was way too much filling, the rum and lemon flavoured filling tastes like disinfectant, the rose and vanilla tastes like sugar, the blackberries are sour and the strawberries are tasteless, and they stuck to every surface from the bench to the cutting board to the baking tray to the cooling racks.

I tried to use some extra buttery puff pastry, was it too fragile ? I used spreadable cream cheese because I don't have anything that will blend normal cream cheese, but I froze the spreadable in blobs so that it wouldn't become too liquid by the time the pastry was cooked. Turns out the blobs were twice the size I needed. And it seems that we must have close to 100% humidity here today, so the moisture was just wicking into the pastry as it thawed. Sigh. 


No comments:

Post a Comment