26th January, 2024

Australia Day. Not particularly sunny or cloudy, but very, very windy. With a high wind chill factor. Tassie summer. Sigh.

I went and collected Annie and the calves from Robyn's paddock and split her two herefords off on the way. Now my two will have all milk and no pellets for the next while, which will be more economical. Belle's group and Annie's group are all in together now, and I will shift the sheep into the barnyard and sheep shelter paddock so they can continue to have the Bioworma.

Jaffa and her group across the road spent the day camped in the remains of Leigh's shed. It was a bit of a windbreak and I guess they were as over the wind as I was by the end of the day.

I started watering the cider apples today. They are on a better soil and their roots are deeper than the dessert apples, but all those apples draw moisture to build and eventually even they need some help.

The broody hen is on her third night in the pen and is still fluffing up and growling at me when I go to feed her. Grumpy old thing.

I did some investigation and found out that the red lantern bush is an Abutilon or "flowering maple" also commonly known as a "chinese lantern" or "chinese bellflower". There's some information on the genus on this link Abutilon . The one on the right of the first three photos looks like mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment