22nd March, 2024

It's been much cooler, as if someone flicked a switch. I'm going to slow the watering rotation down as evaporation is lower.

I voted yesterday, one thing off the list. Dropped some easter eggs in to Siobhan and had a cuppa. Picked up dog tablets today, bought a lazy susan for the craft room and picked up a parcel from the post office, which is pointy mats to screw to posts for the cows to scratch on.

My first hoop to jump through has already arrived, and it's right out of left field. The Land Tax office supplies a search to buyers on settlement that there isn't a land tax debt attaching to the sold land. For some reason I have been picked for an audit. 

This means that I need to provide land use information from 2019 to now to prove that I have correctly not needed to pay land tax as the farm is my primary place of residence and has been used for primary production. This has to be provided quickly enough to allow them to provide the land tax search for settlement. If not, settlement can't happen. No-one saw that one coming, they've only had 6 years to do this ... I suppose I should be happy that it happened at this end of the 21 days and not two days before settlement was due.

The power is going out in the Scottsdale area on Monday, to allow TasNetwork to fix a pole problem. Woollies has a huge generator in the car park now that will supply power to the main area of Scottsdale, but we will be down. While fueling up the  quad and the tractor we also dragged out our little generator and fueled it up too. We tested it and took it up to the house and it will supply some power for the day. It won't run a kettle, but will run a fridge or microwave, so I will have it plugged into the fridge and just use the microwave for cuppas.

Billie and I swapped produce today, I gave her apples and eggs and she gave me tomatoes, rhubarb and zucchinis. I gave onions to Pete and to Juliet. Kelly is bringing pumpkins and I will share the rhubarb with her. Pete also gave us a pumpkin and Arfa from Ringarooma paid for some electrical work with another duck. The black economy is thriving.

The verandah at Pete's place, plans are for drinks and dinner on Good Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment