11th June, 2024

It was clear and quiet and sunny on Monday. The forecast for bad weather coming stood, so I checked on everyone's hay and ended up putting out a bale of silage for Jaffa's mob. 

Usually I use a strap and chain to drag silage, but this time I was able to lift a bale just off the ground and carry it to the right place. Carrying with hay forks means piercing the plastic wrap so can only be done when you are about to feed out. When you bring silage in from the paddock you need a tractor with soft grab "hands" to carry it.

Geoff cut the water soaked shelf out of the bathroom cabinet with our small chainsaw, now I need to get some storage shelves to make the most of the cupboard.

Today dawned miserable, wet and windy. The rain and wind arrived in the wee small hours and was almost horizontal. I did the animals and then went back to bed until 1pm. The dogs spent the day inside too, pretending that there was thunder in the storm.

Jaffa's group and Annie's group were in their sheds, making trips out to their bales. The bull, however, hadn't followed the girls in and was standing in the rain up the far end. He could see the trees nearby, I wonder if he is a bit dumb to sire the next lot of calves...

The sheep were also standing out in the rain, but I could do something about that. I opened the hay shed up for them and they started nibbling on the rounds happily out of the wind and rain. I left them there for the day and night, I'll see what the weather brings tomorrow.

Beanie managed to come in with Annie for breakfast, so I gave her a few scoops of chaff and some horse & pony pellets as well. I picked up stock feed later on, and found that chaff had been reduced in bag size. Apparently Work Health and Safety had decided that 25kg was too heavy for the employees.

Geoff picked up another "huggle" from the post office, a fleecy smock type of thing for sitting around in. They are very warm and comfortable so we got one each instead of arm wrestling for the one.

We are off to Launceston tomorrow, Geoff to look at zero turn mowers and me to pick up a number of small items and have my appointment to draw up my will. The car is fueled up and I have picked an e book to listen to on the way down. I think we will have lunch at a nice restaurant too.

No comments:

Post a Comment