12th July, 2024

We've had a couple of drizzly days, about an inch of rain. At first it was a nice rise in temperature because clouds hold warmth in... but it's been getting steadily colder and my breath was puffing this morning when I went down to feed the cows. There are warnings of a polar blast early next week, colder than the last lot. Oh, joy. Just as well all the critters have shelter, but it's going to increase their hay consumption. Hopefully no-one calves.

I have purchased some window film to use on the main bedroom windows to see if that helps keep the cold out. It sticks on by static rather than adhesive, so I can take it off if it doesn't work. I also lined a few doorways with draught blocking strips, and that should help a little too.

I scored some very marked down buns at work and handed them out to the cattle and sheep this morning. They are clearly under educated and only about half of them were interested. The underwhelmed response suggests I need to expand their diet. I did hide nine very ripe bananas in the weaners' hay bale and they have all gone, but I don't know if that was a general munching or one keen bloodhound.

Freya has been taking lucerne cubes from my hand for a few days now. Nothing like weaning and hanging out with other greedy kids to overcome hesitancy. Chloe was supposed to come and halter break her, but she is ill and I am not sure whether Freya will go to a beef herd as a breeder or a pet herd, so I need to decide whether to proceed to halter breaking her now she's approachable.

I bought vitamin & mineral blocks and dry feed blocks to put out as they have gone through the previous lot. The weaners also still have a bit of a green feed block left, but I expect that will be largely untouched until spring.

Still no news on the Post Office job, I might ask next time I go to pick up a parcel.

Dinner with Juliet and Shane on Wednesday night, one of those rare days when we are all off shift. Geoff visited George and Barb at Bridport on Wednesday, George is going downhill fast.

Karen and Andy brought an ancient cream separator down with them for me to use. It will need a good clean and lubrication, but I thought the envelope that the instructions came in was worth a photo. The machine was made in India, and the envelope was lined with a pretty silk fabric, I guess their version of a tough pack.

No comments:

Post a Comment