15th July, 2024

The polar blast has so far produced zero rain and a few gusty hours of wind. In fact, at about 2pm this arvo the weather was positively sublime, warm, quiet and sunny. While I'm not complaining about not getting the horrible wind, the rain is needed.

Among the things I didn't get this week was the post office job. I was unsuccessful according to the application site. No email or phone call, I'm not sure technology is improving things.

The second screen that I have connected to my laptop to make working on several documents at once has either died, or its cable has. It's a very old screen and a very old cable, so I am weighing up the pros and cons of finding a cable to test whether it's the cable or screen. Or just buy a new screen.

Charlie came over this arvo and helped me push half a dozen round bales down off the stack, ready for Bessie to drag out over the next week or so. I was worried they'd burst when they hit the ground, but we managed a controlled rollout despite the immediate invasion of six weaners the moment we opened the gates of the hayshed to work on the bales. You'd think they didn't have a bale of the very same hay in the ring to munch on already.

The bull has now been here for five and a half weeks. I think I'll make it six or seven before I send him back to Robyn's. A cow's cycle is 21 days so that means he'll have been here for two cycles for sure for Beanie and Annie. 

Anyone not bred by the end of his time here will have to wait so as to ensure I am not milking or calving during the weeks close to going to New Zealand for Sharik's wedding. Planning these things with a nine month pregnancy to factor in means starting now for end of October next year.

The vet is coming tomorrow afternoon to check on Pickle's face. She is one of the senior sheep and has a swollen face. She is eating well, so it's not too painful, but it could be anything from sinus to dental to cheek abscess.

No comments:

Post a Comment