18th August, 2024

I did another shift in the office this Saturday. I had hopes that it would lead to more hours, but Woolies has just cut office hours nationwide and between that and the hours that have had to be given to staff that are on full time contracts but don't have enough hours in their own department, the Saturday once a fortnight looks like all I will get. 

It's a nice little top up to my wages, but the 9.15pm finish on the Friday followed by the 7.15am start on the Saturday is rough. I might make one more attempt to move my day to follow the 7pm Friday finish, and if that doesn't work sit down and really think about whether I want to keep going. Doing it once a fortnight also doesn't allow me time to get fluent in the job.

Robyn and I went up to visit Billie and the baby, Thomas today. We took a selection of cakes and slices from the House Paddock cafe. He's a peaceful little baby, five weeks old. We also visited her deer, hand raised. Billie mentioned that she wishes she could get out more, so I think we will pick her and Thomas up next time we go for a cafe visit.

Geoff and I had dinner with Kelly and Derek at the RSL on Saturday night. The meals were big and tasty, but very light on vegetables. I think next time I will ask for half the chips and add a salad. I heard there had been a crash on their road home about the time they left, so I spent a worried night before Kelly replied to my message that they were fine and had passed the crash scene on the way home.

Belle is now showing clear goo and her udder is about half inflated. She could calve any time between now and two weeks I think. I have the dairy cleaned up ready to milk her, as I can hand milk her it won't be a huge added time burden on top of the feeding. Annie is still getting a small meal each day to keep some condition on her, I will have to transition her to getting that in the yards while I milk because they will squabble if I put her in the head gate next to Belle.

Still no paperwork from the bank. While I am impatient this has not been an unusual experience with my bank. Every interaction for the last 20 years has been slow and poor communication, but they generally accommodate my requests so I put up with it. Hopefully this will be the last adjustment I have to do before I pay it out.

Calab took all the rubbish bins to the tip today. Robyn told me that Tubby Kettle does a once a month pickup of $20 per wheelie bin. Since it takes about a month to fill a bin, I am going to ring him on Monday and organise a pickup service. That will save the tip tickets for general farm rubbish.

No word on any of the jobs I applied for, all have said they'll get back to me in due course. So I will just keep an eye out for other ads while I wait. Suzie is willing to wait with me, she knows how to take it easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment