31st August, 2024

Tasmania is experiencing gale force winds and rain over this week and more to come. Some areas are clocking gusts over 160km/hr and large sections of the island are without power. We still have power and the wind is howling but so far we've only lost a section of paling fence and the glass out of the back door. Jason, who bought my 75 acres, has lost the roof of his shearing shed and his chemical shed. 

The cattle are camped in the loafing shed, the sheep are in the hay shed, the chooks have taken over the sheep shelter during the day, and the dogs and cats have only ventured out of the house long enough to go to the toilet for the last three days. If I had any choice I'd be hibernating too.

I cut the bale wrap off the tractor axel and connected up the battery charger to Bessie as well. The wind tells me it's snowing somewhere and spells of cold weather are hard on batteries. I need Bessie to start first time every time.

I was half expecting that we'd get the call in the morning that we needn't go in to work because the roof had come off Woolies, but someone seems to have screwed it down since last winter.

Juliet came and got 6 litres of milk, and I am making Kelly 3 litres of yoghurt. I made 4 litres of yoghurt for myself and I'd like to get some mozarella made this weekend if I can get things under control. I need to fix a water line that got chewed by a rat by the look of it. It sprayed a fine mist over everything in the dairy until it was all dripping, just a bonus on top of the wind.

Each summer I generally host a couple of veterinary students on the farm to show them about country life and large animals. I am still not sure if I will be able to do it this year as I don't know which, if any, jobs I might get. I hope I get a part time one that gives me time to host as I do enjoy it.

Here is Sarge in his happy place out of the nasty weather.


No comments:

Post a Comment