21st September, 2024

Aaarrgghh ! More rain, more wind, more cold !

I shut the newly planted pasture off from the cow this morning and rejigged the electric tapes so that they have access to new grass, but are away from where the trees have come down over the fences. I am down to six round bales, which is about 18 days feed, so something has to give. Hopefully this miserable cold weather will stop so the grass will grow before I run out of hay.

I tried a couple of new flavours with junket. Salted caramel icing flavouring, not hugely successful. And chai latte sachets, which was really nice. 

I have booked myself something special. "The Gourmet Farmer" was a series on SBS where a food critic decides to become a farmer in Tasmania and it follows his adventures. He's written a couple of books on raising your own food, and his new one is about Milk. He's giving a Q&A session in Launceston over a dinner at Stillwater with a milk based menu. So I booked myself a place and booked a basic room at a pub to stay overnight, and moved my two next appointments in Launceston to that day and it will be a big day/night out.

The vet is coming on Tuesday to take out a tooth for Pickle, one of my ewes. She will castrate Tiddy at the same time, and I think we will put in an ear tag while he is out to it.

No news on the jobs, no discernible progress on the mower funding.

Pauline, the manager for the front end, scored herself a new job. She goes in five or six weeks, which will turn the front end upside down. She has been working there about 12 years and was ready for a change. I am pleased for her, but the fallout is going to be quite dramatic as we go into the christmas chaos without her. I won't be going for the job, no-one needs that level of stress.

No comments:

Post a Comment