11th September, 2024

I have invented a name for the current weather : drizmal. Everything is soaked and we could really, really use a nice fine few days to kick off the grass growth. I am down to nine round bales, which is approximately 27 days feed. I was hoping for an early warm spring, but it looks like we have the kind of cold long tail to winter that is designed to maximise the work.

I put a couple of kilos of strawberries in the fridge, Juliet made strawberry jam from hers and Robyn made strawberry syrup from the ones I gave her. She gave me a jar of it and I might have to find some creative ways to use it. Pancakes spring to mind...

I have put down two basic farmhouse cheeses. Back in Dubbo I used to make one of these every day. A litre of milk, a blob of starter and a couple of drops of rennet, then into an old "easyo" container for the day, cut the curd in the evening and put it in the hoop to drain overnight. This creates a cheese that is a little like fetta without being as salty. It's delicious in an egg pie.

Robyn and I took Billie and baby to the House Paddock for afternoon tea on Monday, we had a nice visit and I bought some bacon and mushrooms to cook for lunch tomorrow.

We lost two trees down in the soak a couple of nights ago, one snapped off and one went over roots and all. Both fell on the fence so there will be fence repairs to do. I have asked Charlie to cut them off the fence for me, and he might be able to help repair the fence. Otherwise I will set aside a Sunday to work through it. I have the tools for it, I'm just a bit slow and have to think through each step so as not to have to undo it and start again.

This is the spindly snapped tree that must have been a bit twisted by the wind. The shearing motion is pretty rough and often takes branches off. In this case the smaller tree just snapped, you can see how the remaining trunk is split.

This is the one which has gone over roots and all. It's on the edge of a pool of water so I think it's just gotten too wet to hold up against the wind.


No comments:

Post a Comment