16th July, 2023

Finally got rid of the old bain marie, a lady had taken it to start seedlings in. One thing out of the paddock.

Leigh got Bessie going today and as he is more experienced in working in confined spaces he used her to shift six round bales of hay into position to be picked up by Bruce. Then he used the roller at the rear of Bruce to lay out some hay in the piggery paddock for the steers and some over the road for the 75 acre herd. The steers are apparently going tomorrow. One to the butcher and the rest to another farm for weaning.

I made a couple of steps forward in making a good kennel/bed for Finn. Which he will probably refuse to sleep in but that's on him. We have a wooden apple box now with a door cut in the side and reinforced by some of the cut out boards. I will clean the inside then line it with an old mattress topper to cut the wind and put a dog bed in. Still debating about whether to top that with straw.

I have purchased a bread keeper from Tupperware, a Breadsmart. It cost $60 and would be a ridiculous purchase if we didn't lose half of every loaf to mould as we don't eat the bread fast enough. It will pay for itself in 24 loaves, if it works.

I made osso bucco for dinner, with Geoff's patented curry mashed potato. I was doubtful about adding curry to mashed spuds but a small amount really complements most stews and casseroles. Tomorrow I am trying my hand at a duck.... one of the ones from Arfur at Ringarooma.

Here's a photo from the Legendairy Ladies dinner on Friday night at The Gorge restaurant in Launceston. It was taken with a wide angle lens so it has a weird perspective. It made me take my glasses off and clean them before I realised. Me on the left, then Carmel and Robyn.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment