19th July, 2023

On my last trip into Launceston I purchased a few more herbs for the garden. Two varieties of thyme, some fennel, chocolate mint, and catnip. I planted the catnip today in a place that the cats pass on a regular basis, we'll see if anyone notices !

Leigh tried to use Bruce to put out a bale of hay this morning, but couldn't get him started. I told him I'd take a look after milking and work out what the problem was. I knew his battery was depleted because Bruce's handbrake isn't working, so every time Leigh had to stop to open a gate he was turning him off and leaving him in gear. After about 10 starts with 2 minutes running time between each I knew the battery was going to be way low, so I'd put the charger on last night and he should have started first time.

So I went trouble shooting. Checked the battery, it was actually pretty good. The kill switch was engaged but that wouldn't have sounded like a sluggish battery, it would have stopped any kind of turnover, so I assume Leigh pulled it out of habit. Checked the front forks, all grounded. Back forks ... Ahah ! The lever was set to high ! So when he was cranking the engine it was trying to start and raise the forks at the same time ! Even Bessie won't come at that. Problem solved and me all smug.

So I used him to put out a bale for the 25 acre herd and loaded another one for Leigh to use when he comes back. I set the front and back forks all at down and made sure the kill switch was disengaged, and parked him with the sun on the battery to keep it warm. If Leigh can't start him now there's no helping him.



No comments:

Post a Comment