10th October, 2023

Between a sleep in and an early shift (1pm to 7pm) there wasn't alot done today. 

Besides feeding the calves and the chooks I got a load of washing in and out and set up new muesli bars for the calves. I introduced them to the concept and Star did some nibbling while Joey still tried to suck my elbow off. He's not the smartest animal I have ever dealt with.

After work we cooked bacon, eggs and sauteed chard. The eggs and chard were ours and the bacon was from Leigh's pigs (made by Siobhan and delicious) so the majority of the meal was sourced from this farm. That's a nice feeling.

Payday today too, when I get to pass alot of money very quickly to other people. The electricity bill was quite alarming, and then I remembered that we'd done reverse cycle heating this year instead of gas and what we were seeing is the money we'd have spent on gas going on electricity. It's probably worked out cheaper, but it's still a shock to see it all in one go. I am going to start making weekly payments towards it so that the next one has been well offset before I get it.

Kelly, who had a visit and lunch with me a couple of weeks ago, dropped in at work and asked if I'd like to catch up for a cuppa. We'll do that on Thursday. Then Teena stopped in at work and asked if Geoff and I would like to come over for dinner on the 28th. So another booking in the calendar. And a tour of a robotic dairy with the Legendairy Ladies on the 24th.

The sheep were hanging around Cowmahal again. I'd shifted them one paddock over when I was working on the fence for the cows and while they'd never walked under it outwards, they were clearly motivated to walk under it inwards to the shelter. The sooks. To be fair, if I can limbo under it there's plenty of room for a sheep to go under without ducking. The pig was wandering around near them and they seem to be adjusting to her presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment