12th October, 2023

A bit of rain today. Not enough to be useful and water things, but enough to wet stuff. The hops have sprouted, I appear to have lost a few due to the very wet winter rotting some of the roots. I am trying to decide whether to replace them with hop varieties or some different types of vines. I might see what's available.

I've been picking the rainbow chard, shredding it and storing in a big bowl in the fridge (covered by a shower cap !). Then I can sautee a couple of handfuls quickly to add to meals.

I've been moving my small squares of straw out from in front of Leigh's rounds in the hayshed, and the chooks have now established a nest behind the new pile of bales. Luckily straw is substantially lighter than hay and I was able to finesse the pile just far enough out that I can reach the eggs, and add a fake egg to keep them using it. When I find a nest I can live with, I like to encourage them to use it.

I also moved two broodies into the broody pen. They will have three or four nights in there to break the brood, with plenty of food to top up what they've missed by sitting.

I had a good phone chat with Mum, she had a lovely bus trip and is keeping busy.




No comments:

Post a Comment