11th December, 2023

A warm day, 26C in mid afternoon. The grass is taking right off and if we do really get 20 - 40mm on Wed it will get back to a reasonable length.

I put a coat of paint on the outside of the rear door of the craft room, I am good for one door coat per day according to my sore muscles. I have a few things to relocate and then once the doors are done I am good to give the room a sweep and arrange the furniture and start using it. Yay !

The calves hooked right into the muesli and it did indeed keep them quiet for a while. I think the "peace and quiet" of the countryside is largely a myth. Even unhandled paddock cows have opinions and don't mind telling you.

Belle's water trough is leaking, the hose itself is perished around the fitting so tomorrow I will cut a new hose and refit that. I cleaned the poops out of the hay shed where Sorcha had a little break in yesterday. 

I also took a load of recycling to the tip, picked up Coopex for treating the chook house for mites and lice, and investigated getting new Skellerup Redbands (the best gumboots) and will need to get them from elsewhere. Daviesway Online carry them at a comparable price, but I might ask Squirty Harper (who is the local Daviesway rep) what price he can do them for.

I took Sorcha, Jaffa, Freya and Zipper across the road because it's been three months since the girls calved and to calve back at yearly intervals it's time to visit the bull. I thought about borrowing Robyn's new young speckle park, but she is running two young bulls together and they would need to both come, and the fences are probably not up to two young bulls right now. So it's Leigh's angus this time. Boring black calves, but an easier option.

No comments:

Post a Comment