13th December, 2023

The day started off hot and steamy and I just about cooked when I went to fetch Bruce the Tractor. At least the fan in the cab works, as the side windows open but the back one has lost all strength in the struts. 

Charlie was planning to knock off early and come and stow my hay before picking up some silage, but I could see the forecast storm was going to beat him. So I figured I'd get a few into the shed as an experiment and that would at least reduce the number Charlie needed to plan for next time they were dry.

Well, the storm kept closing in and I kept stowing and I got the last one into the shed as the first rumbles and spits arrived ! 37 bales stacked in the shed all by me, I am chuffed with myself. And I fired up Bessie, changed over Leigh's forks for my new ones and parked her in the shed so she didn't get wet. Then I fed the chooks, had a shower and had a nap.

I unplugged all the freezers for the first storm, but when it became clear it was going to storm on and off all night I put everything back on. The dogs have been inside since early afternoon and just look at me when I offer to let them out to toilet. Apparently the thunder giants over-rule bladders. I hope they hold out til morning !

I went with Robyn to the Fonterra dinner tonight, it was a great meal and a good night and a really big turnout. Everyone was talking about tonight's storms. I am very pleased I can enjoy them too because my hay is in the shed !



No comments:

Post a Comment