18th February, 2024

The day started cool and grey, mainly due to a heavy sea mist. It didn't start to warm up until the sea mist burned off, but then got to 28.

Annie is dropping production even more and Abe is cleaning out half a back quarter before I even get there. I decided that as the calves are now more than six months old I will use up Robyn's leftover bag of powder shandied with milk until that's gone. 

Then I will just take enough for the house from the untouched quarter each day and move the calves to pellets. Hand milking will take longer, but she will stand while she has feed and the cleaning up afterwards without the machine and the calf feeder will take hardly any time at all.

Today I did my first half shift in online orders. I had 45 minutes training then "I have to go now, push that button and Tyler is here if you need help." Just as well I pick up new systems fast, and Geoff had given me some tips on the weirder parts of the process. I think I did pretty well, and I'd be interested in seeing how my first runs compare time wise with the slower of the more experienced pickers. 

Now it will be a matter of seeing whether I get offered shifts or not. I'd prefer to do online, it's got very little customer facing element and no supervisory role. At least the second half of the shift that was me closing frontend was the easiest close in well over a year. For once we had enough staff and could teach the newbies some new stuff while we were at it.

I have been experimenting with various hose configurations for watering the orchard and cider apples. While setting up and moving the irrigation line is problematical at the moment due to the length of the dried grass, it saves time in the long run over putting a sprinkler at the foot of each tree for two hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment