19th February. 2024

Another hot one, made it to 27. A cold change blew in at the end of the day and dropped the temps dramatically, down to 22 in the first hour and cold enough to consider the heater by 9pm. The forecast is for rain tomorrow and Wednesday, but we'll see.

I put the dry feed blocks out and gave the sheep and cattle apples. Picked up the electric fence charger from down at the soak, that's all the electric off now as the grass gets even dryer. I checked the troughs and opened up the far paddock which has good green grass but is starting to wilt. 

While I was out there I took a milk sample from Belle for preg testing by Tas Herd. That went into the fridge for a couple of hours, then into an insulated bag and express posted off to Hadspen for testing. I picked up cracked maize and barley and calf pellets while I was out.

Annie only gave me 5 litres total this morning, so I took 2 litres for the house and added 6 litres of milk replacer for the calves. I have enough to do this for three more days, then the calves are on pellets only and I am hand milking the 2 litres a day for the house and the machine gets a good clean and maintenance for storage.

I gave the dogs a flea and tick treatment as the weather conditions are good for fleas to move into the outside dog beds. Ants are on the move too, they have infested the back of a couple of power points and shorted them out. And the copperhead that lives around the house yard has been seen twice this summer. Heading in the other direction as fast as possible, but a reminder that he is there.

Blueberry picking


No comments:

Post a Comment