4th April 2024

We had a forecast of heavy rain and wind so I moved the sheep from the hops paddock back out to the main paddock where they have the big shelter. They have shelter in the hops paddock, but they won't use it. As it was we got about an inch overnight, soft and steady with no runoff, so they were pleased to be under cover.

All in all the fall was 30mm, and there is a tinge of green on the paddocks already. Hopefully there will be followup rain this weekend.

I did a short shift on Monday, which I was reluctant to take for a few reasons. One being I had planned Monday as a day of rest, another being that I hate day shifts, and another being that it would make five shifts for this week when I was already tired. But it was only three hours and it was at public holiday rates, so I put my hand up.

Pauline mentioned she might give me a few extra shifts in online. Not that keen for extra shifts, but the more work I do online the higher the chance I can do more of that and less checkout. I won't be chasing other jobs until after Aimee's visit as it won't be practical to take May off if I am starting a new job.

Annie is still marching across for breakfast, but looking at the mud on her udder I am wondering if Abe has weaned himself or if she has dried up following the mastitis. The mud on her teats is there every morning so I don't know if she's adding more each day or Abe hasn't been sucking. She's thin enough after being sick that if she is drying off it won't hurt her to be dry, but I'd better get on with getting her bred.

Settlement is still on track for the 9th, five days away. As far as I know all the paperwork is done and it's just a matter of the solicitors getting together on the day and putting a cheque in my bank.

I have spent a little more money than I should have, but bought a small dehydrator after my last one finally died of old age. I am going to dry all the king david apples, now that I have a corer/peeler/chopper machine to use it will be alot faster. I freeze in ziplock bags and enjoy the dried apples as a snack for the rest of the year. 

I also want to use some of the herbs I have growing to make seasonings and rubs. I have a "lemon and aniseed mint" that would be awesome with lamb. It looks more like oregano than a mint, but it could be a crossbred with lemon balm too.

No comments:

Post a Comment